Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions Please
From: Mike Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 22:03:49 -0500

=A0

Ray & Kit Yuen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you had your choice, would be buy a Leica R8 with a 50mm Summicron, =
> Hasselblad 501cm with the standard 80mm lens, or a Canon EOS 1n with a
> 28-70 f2.8L?
>
> Even with the high quality and extreme sharpness of Leica lens, does
> anyone believe that they can compare favorably with the image qualities
> produced by medium format lens such as those from Hasselblad?
>
> TIA
> -Ray

=A0 Ray,
This is an impossible question to answer properly without knowing what so=
rt
of photography you do or the type of subject matter.=A0 Cameras, other th=
an
being objects of affection, are tools.=A0 Without defining the job to be =
done,
how can you select the tools?
If I asked you if I should use an eight pound sledge hammer, a twenty oun=
ce
framing hammer or a tack hammer, your next question to me would be what a=
re
you using the hammer for?=A0 Exactly.
If you are asking about pure technical quality of an image and speed of
operation is not an issue, (and with flawless technique) the biggest
transparency or negative wins...every time.
Regards,
Mike Gardner