Subject: [Leica] Re: Bill Larsen / Marvin / Eyes of the Beholder
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 01:24:17 EST

In a message dated 98-02-18 21:08:12 EST, Bill Larsen wrote:
>>snip<<
  This led me to a train of thought that included the question "why, when you
buy a lens, doesn't the manufacturer include a series of test photographs
demonstrating the characteristics of the individual lens?"
 >>Bill - At first I thought it might be a good idea even if Leica could
afford it---
but then I realized that the "tests would be meaningless" to the typical buyer
without having the criteria of something to compare it against.

The concensus of LUG opinion seemed to be that "sharpness" was not only
judged in Erwin's absolute terms  but also in the "eyes of the beholder" with
many variables - mainly contrast & edge sharpness as opposed to resolution.

Marvin