Subject: Re: [Leica] Wind-down noises
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:15:40 -0800

Peterg wrote:

>I think Laney, in one of his books, recommends that this be an audible
>confirmation of satisfactory shutter function - best heard @ 1/15th -
>when examining a s/h purchase.

My thanks to those who responded.  So now I've got an M3 with the
sound and one I bought ten years ago without the sound.  That one
does work perfectly, so I'm just going to have fun with both of
them and not worry about it.

Dan Cardish wrote:

> I made the mistake of listening to my m6 at 1/15 and heard a sound I've
> never heard before.  Instead of the usual noise I hear at slow speeds, I
> heard a soft clicking sound, as if something was bouncing 2 or 3 times.  It
> was also aubible at 1/30 sec, but at no other speeds.  Is this normal?

I suspect it is.  My Pentax SP500 of 1971 has always made that sound
at 1/30th (and only 1/30th) and the shutter speeds are still right-on.
I think this sound is an artifact of the timing mechanism in the focal
plane shutter's gear train.

- -Dave