Subject: Re: [Leica] M 90/2 Aspherical
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 23:55:20 +0000

Eric,

> Remember he has also "pre-announced" (another redundancy like
> pre-visualize) rangefinder cameras from Japanese manufacturers. He was
> partly right with the Contax G, but he also implied someone like Nikon or
> Canon.

That Nikon S5 was not a rumor; it was a real camera that made it to prototype form
and, for reasons unknown (to Nikon outsiders), never made it to market (probably
due to the sales performance of the Nikon luxury PS's). Amateur Photographer and
Foto Magazine printed their own confirmations about the S5 as well. He was, as
you've said first with information on the Contax G2 and the M6HM.

While I know Bob Shell bashing is a popular sport, I don't think that his willingness
to share info about upcoming cameras is something to criticize him for. In this
particular case, it was more my fault than his and so, I apologize for jumping the
gun. I should've been more careful with his public image and not named him as the
source.

Erwin's reading of the Color Foto confirms the mistake and makes it clear that we
do still have to wait for the M6E. Again, my apologies for posting before considering
the obvious first.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez