Subject: [Leica] Re: Snakes and security
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:48:15 -0500

Jem WROTE:

<<<<<<<These cameras of ours are only material possessions after all, sure
we can enjoy them but I'd rather have a  relationship with people based on
trust and understanding rather than guns.>>>>>>>>>

Hi Jem,

A question. Has it ever been your misfortune to walk into your home after
someone has ransacked and destroyed it in search of "whatever they can
carry away?" Leicas or otherwise?

If they just walked in helped themselves to your cameras and left leaving
the irreplaceable things of your life intact, I guess I could have some
understanding with the person. As you are right, the camera gear is merely
material and can be replaced in most cases.

Unfortunately these days we rarely have a B&E that this happens! By the
time the thief, junkie finishes tearing your place apart looking for things
to relieve you of,  at the moment of discovery you only wish to do one
thing......... kill the son of bitch! And if you have never had the
experience you don't ever want to have it, as you feel you have been raped
and plundered.

I have a pretty good relationship with my fellow human beings as I am a
"people person", but it changes very quickly as you stand there crying at
what one of your "understanding  bad guys out there whom "we need to
expect more of our fellow men rather than less."  did to my home.

I don't know what the bad guys are like where you live, but we have some
very mean assed mothers in North America. When they get finished looking
for whatever, there isn't much you can do but bulldoze the house and start
all over again.

What's worse it's the "things that can never be replaced" from family
heirlooms and friends that are gone or destroyed. Small little items with
no meaning to anyone else but you and your wife, the only memento of a dead
child.

Have it happen once and your attitude of understanding and comfy feelings
towards your fellow man change forever.  And yes, no matter what you or I
think about using a gun or a baseball bat on a fellow human being, when you
have one invasion of home and hearth it changes to, "I would use it in the
blink of an eye if I could only catch one!"

I don't have bad feelings towards folks in the normal sense of faith in my
fellow man. However, it changes with "one visit" after a home invasion!

May you never experience this never ending nightmare!

ted