Subject: Re: [Leica] f/2.8 135mm for SL
From: Marco Grande <hektor73@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:15:05 -0800 (PST)

Don,

Hmmm.
I've reviewed your note to which I was responding:

>I may not know how many hours are in a day but but I'm >pretty sure Leitz doesn't (didn't) make an Elmar f/4 >135 or a Tele-Elmar 4/135 for the Leicaflex SL? Unless >you want to limit yourself to close focus
>with the 222whatever M to R adapter. :-)

Okay I may have mixed up adapters, thinking you were referring to the early V to R adapter (14127) which indeed only limits you to close up work with the complete lenses.

To what adapter(222whatever)are you referring? I believe there is a similarly-numbered adapter that allows mounting of R lenses on the M cameras (really only useful with wide angles, such as adapting the orphaned 21/3.4 Leicaflex lens for use on an M), but it cannot be that one for using RF lenses on an SL.

The intent of my message was to point out to those who might not be aware of the fact that many longer RF lenses ARE useable to infinity (and in macro work) with
appropriate VISO II/III gear plus 14127/14167. A casual reader of your note may have concluded otherwise.

These adapters are quite reasonable (by Leica standards) and certainly worth acquiring if one alrady owns the RF lenses.

Certainly these lenses were not made for the SL, indeed I believe it is safe to assume that Messers Barnack and Berek did not have the SL in mind when the 135 Hektor was introduced in the early 1930's (a lens particularly useful in closeup work on a VISO or reflex camera). But one of the beauty of the Leica system is that those lenses CAN be used today on reflex models more easily and conveniently than on a Visoflex, much as a standardized Anastigmat or Elmax (with SM to M adapter)
is much more easily used today on an M6HM than ever on a model A.

MG