Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF TOPIC: Binocular recommendation
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:58:19 -0600

Tony,
I don't profess to be an expert on the subject but I would recommend a pair
of binoculars with a fairly large exit pupil since they'll be easier to see
through when you are bouncing around on a train.  The small pocket sized
glasses like the 8X20's or the 10X25's have only a 2.5mm exit pupil and
wouldn't work well.  I'd recommend glasses with at least a 4mm exit pupil.

My Leitz 7x42 glasses have a 6mm exit pupil as well as very wide field of
view.  They would be perfect for viewing from a train or boat.
Unfortunately, they are fairly large.

I also have a pair of Zeiss 8x30 glasses which I've owned for more then 30
years and have been all over the world.

Remember that binoculars are like anything else.  In the long run it's
better to look for the best investment rather than the best buy.  A good
pair of glasses can satisfy you and yours for decades.  Consequently, I'd
recommend that you go for the new Leica 8x32 or 8x42 binoculars.   They are
the best compromise between size and magnification.  The Nikon 7x35E porro
prism glasses would also work well but the 8X32's would be the best all
around glass.

We take three pairs of glasses when we travel.  The 7X42's, the 8X30's and
my wife's Leica 10X25's which is always in her purse.

Regards,
Bud Cook