Subject: Re: [Leica] r4 questions......
From: "dbledsoe" <dbledsoe@micron.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:30:13 -0800

Francesco,

>>I went ahead and bought the used R4 I found yesterday.  I got a GREAT
camera, but I still do not understand the metering systems.  Can
someoneenlighten me, before I get my copy of the manual?<<

Congratulations on the R4.  They are nice cameras.

>>Can someone tell me what the lights on the right side of the viewfinder
signify? Why do I sometimes see a round light and a square light,<<

The square and round lights are to tell you something at a glance.  Square
light means speed is at or below 1/30 (you that you might encounter camera
shake).  Round light light tells you you're at least at 1/60 or above.

>>or two round lights, or a round light and an arrow, or just one light?<<

Two lights tell you that you're at a shutter speed in between those speeds
lit up.  One light tells you you're at that speed.  The arrow (above or
below the round/square lights) is to tell you you are above or below the
upper/lower exposure range.

>>Does it have to do with how much the exposure needs to be corrected?<<

In a way, yes but not really.  The arrows just mean you are outside the
max/min exposure ranges for the shutter speeds.

>>In manual mode, how do you know when you have reached the correct
exposure?<<

The red light will light adjacent to the correct exposure speed and you must
then set the shutter speed dial to that speed.

>>I am just a bit confused here.....the lights in the R4 are nothing like
the R8!<<

My information is given to you from the R4sP camera.  It does not have any
full programmed mode so some of it may be slightly different than your R4
when used in the programmed AE mode.

>>Which reflex model is the first to have a numerical readout like the R8?I
find that style much more convenient......<<

Can't answer that one but hope the above is of some help.

Don