Subject: Re: [Leica] SM Wide angle lens
From: Peter Goldberg <peterg@martinhamblin.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:08:04 -0500

Noel H. Charchuk wrote:

> In researching a wide angle lens to add to my IId, I have noticed an
> inverse ratio of price to focal length, ie a 35 mm costs about 2-3 times
> what a 90 mm or 135 mm are selling for. I then compared the M series and
> see there is a similar relationship. This has piqued my curiosity. Does
> anyone out there know the explanation for this, is it rarity, costs of
> construction or what?
> TIA
> Noel Charchuk

I think the only relationship that exists re price is production run; that
goes for both SM & M.  Irrespective (well almost) of the merits of a lense,
the fewer made (or obscure variations of) the higher the price,  It
automatically assumes some collectable status, thus the 35mm Elmar is worth
more than the 50mm;  90mm Elmar & 135mm Hektor's are ten for a penny (sort
of).

Peterg