Subject: Re: [Leica] RRS M plate #B30?
From: Chuck Kennedy <cwk@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 98 13:32:27 -0500

You know I may have said the LL Rue site meaning Kirk Enterprises for
alternatives to the RRS plate. My beef with RRS is the annoyance of
conducting business with RRS. In the past they refused phone orders, and
credit cards. All had to have been done by mail. The clamp system does
make for a sturdy connection but I don't agree that it is all that fast.
Plus, I find the size of the plates in most cases to be excessive.  When
you find yourself locked in to carrying them on several lenses AND
several bodies it adds up. Never mind the fact that all those edges and
corners are sharp and are not forgiving when they inevitably hit another
piece of gear.

That being said... I do LOVE the B1 ball head, so much so that I had my
clamp replaced with a Sachtler Quik release system for both the head and
mountaineer monopod. Sachtler no longer sells this item, though the
former US distributer (www.bromwell.com) bought the design and has them
manufactured in the US. The plates are much smaller... and it holds a
Canon 300 2.8 very nicely. He also has an intruiging line of Italian ball
heads I've never seen before.