Subject: [Leica] What a device!
From: David Guidry <Dave-Sherry@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:55:55 -0600

Hello LUG:

I got my first Leica (M6) with a 35mm f2 non-asph in November.  I am an
amatuer and I shoot for myself (no pressure). I don't use my camera
every day but I have photographed the New Orleans nightlife and some
French Quarter days. I was impressed with my new toys.

Today is Mardi Gras day in New Orleans so there is no work. My wife and
I drove 3 hours west of New Orleans to a Cajun town called Mamou - right
near Lafayete, Louisiana. In Mamou much of the male population dons
colorful clothing and Mardi Gras masks. They then mount horses and visit
landowners. The landowners donate chickens and other gumbo ingredients
in exchange for a dance from the masked horsemen. This is known as the
Courir De Mardi Gras. At the end of the ride they cook a huge pot of
gumbo (soup) out of the ingredients they gathered and the whole town
eats and parties. Probably 60 men on horseback followed by another 50
trucks participated with a whole town seeing them off and waiting for
thier return.

I like to concoct photo assignments for myself as it causes me to
prepare as if I were going on a job and to plan a strategy for the best
results. I brought a variety of films so I could shoot in almost all
conditions. I also bought a 50mm f1.4 last week along with an M grip. We
got up at 5a.m. and saw the surise as the first of the participants
prepared for the day. On a nice day, early light is just gorgeous. To
make a long story short, I shot 10 - 36 exp. rolls before noon. This is
the most fun I've had with my clothes on.

I found that the 35 & 50mm focal legnths were perfect for getting
involved with fast moving outdoor activity. My new 50mm is fantastic,
smooth to focus and not too heavy. The whole rig including film fit into
a fanny pack that hung out behide me without becoming a burden. This is
a far cry from the Nikon/ Bronica rig I used to tote - I'm glad its
gone. Additionally, the M grip really helps to steady the camera. After
using the M6 with the grip and without, I can tell you its not coming
off again.

With all the red dot or no red dot talk and the "Down With Solms"
movement, I want to express how perfect My Leica was today on my fantasy
photo-journalist assignment. This is an incredibly well made device that
is hard to complain about when you actually go out and use it.

Yours in Leica,
David Guidry