Subject: RE: [Leica] M 35/2 ASPH vs non ASPH
From: "Tore Larsen" <tore@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:59:17 -0500

Hi,

- -----Original Message-----
From:	Milos Kocman [mailto:milos@bohem-net.cz]
Sent:	Tuesday, 10 February, 1998 07:21
To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject:	[Leica] M 35/2 ASPH vs non ASPH

Hi,

a simple question to yield difficult answers - is the new ASPH Summicron
worth the added weight and size? Can you tell the difference in handheld
shooting? Also, someone here mentioned that the new one might be easier to
handle - focus and change f-stops..

<snip>

The optical qualities of the two lenses have been commented extensively. I
found the 32/2ASPH worth the purchase, for price vs. optical performance. I
look forward to living with the lens.

After careful consideration I decided *not* to trade in my mint cond. 35/2
though (Mint lens, shade, cover, pouch (w/ golden tab), box, USD 550.00) for
reasons of weight and size. The weight of the ASPH is wearingly higher both
alone on the body and in the bag with my two other lenses (50/2 & 90/2).
What tipped the scale was that departing with the old lens meant that I was
also giving up my small, light, easily concealable, and carryable M6, almost
the size of a P&S. For those occasions when that is exactly what I need, I
have decided to keep the 35/2; in my opinion one of the most beatiful lenses
on the M6.

There are some mechanical differences between the two lenses:

I was happy to see the new shade offering a front lid. I missed that on the
35/2. The new hood fits the old lens mechanically. Anyone knows if it works
properly? The lid itself does not really hold on well to the notches of the
old hood.

The new cap is the same that comes with the 50/2, but it seems to hold on
better than the cap for my 50/2. I prefer the old by far, it never falls
off.

The focusing notch has been redesigned compared to the 35/2. It is slanted,
it is much deeper, and it's made to look more ergonomical. It is not. The
left high end pops up into the side of my finger when focusing towards
infinity. I much prefer the old design.

Milos
__
Tore