Subject: [Leica] Multi-Coating
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 11:17:01 -0500

At 06:35 PM 2/28/98 +1000, Duncan Young wrote:
>is the multicoating on the 15, T* multicoating from Zeiss, or is it Leica's
>version?  I believe Rollie uses slightly different Multicoating technologies
>on its Zeiss lenses ( compared to Hassleblad ), so perhaps leica does the
same.

Both Leica's multi-coating and Rollei's HFT are identical in process to
Zeiss's T* and both are licensed to use this process by Zeiss.  The precise
mix of chemicals used in the coatings may vary marginally from manufacturer
to manufacturer, but not significantly.

The corporate wranglings that led to Zeiss and Pentax pooling research to
jointly develop the T*/SMC process and which later led Zeiss to license
this to Rollei and then Leitz are a bit complex and a lot of it deals
<<sniff>> with the demise of Zeiss Ikon.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!