Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm origins
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:45:17 +0000

Marc,

> Finally, I am not aware of a 2/28 or 1.8/135 lens for the Contax SLR system.

The Zeiss 28/2 has gone the way of the 70-210/3.5, 40-80/3.5, 85/2.8, 100/3.5,
200/3.5 and the 135/2 lenses; a sample I played with was terrible wide open, so I don't
feel it was a great loss. There are many people who have high praise for the lens and
since they've put it through more of its paces, I'll defer to their opinions.

I didn't suggest that the 135/1.8 was ever available in the Contax range, my point
was that it's thought to be a product of Pentax/Zeiss collaboration (and is one of the
finest 135's ever made, regardless of its place as the fastest 135 ever put into
commeercial production).

I do remember a man on the Pentax list posting the contents of a whitepaper Pentax
released around the time the LX was introduced (also thought to have a hearty
connection to the Zeiss link) that described many of the results and disappointments
of the collaboration.

Hopefully someday we'll be able to offer some more definitive answers to the
question of what exactly Zeiss and Pentax wrought.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez