Subject: [Leica] The <Late> Leica Screw-Job
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 23:54:17 -0500

Leica M's through the M4 and, perhaps, the M4-2 had a wax coating OVER the
top screw on the lens mounting ring.  This was sealed at the factory with a
stamped 'L';  as the seal had to be broken to repair the camera, this was a
quick way of spotting a camera which had been worked on.  There were other
letters used when an authorized Leica service center repaired the camera --
I believe Canada used a 'C' and New York an 'A', but I'm too tired at the
moment to look it up.

It amazes me that, while this is well known and while Leica fakes crop up
with rather sickening regularity, no one seems to have been suspected of
replacing this 'L' seal, which would be a matter of supreme simplicity.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!