Subject: Re: [Leica] Q: Best Small Tripod?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:13:53 -0800

My favorite small-ish but very lightweight tripod is the Gitzo carbon 1228.
Fits in RollAboard (and other) carry on luggage, is very stable, even when
fully expended (not using the centerpost). George Lepp did tests on
numerous tripods and the Gitzo carbon tripods ranked at the top. Very light
weight and very sturdy.

Yes, it's expensive. So is Leica. However, if you are going to go to the
trouble to carry a tripod and use it, it should be substantial enough to
handle whatever you intend to use it for. The 1228 easily handles large and
heavy lenses (70-180, 180, 280, 350), as well as light weight stuff (M).

Many times people do not think about the fact that they have spent a lot of
money on travel to get where they are going, a lot of money on the BEST
photo equipment (Leica), and take lots of film, but skimp on things that
can make or break the photography experience. To me, it's not enough to
just go and photograph, I want the result to be as good as possible,
otherwise why bother. So "I think it'll be good enough or I think it'll
work", is not good enough for me. I don't want to come back and say "If
only..." That's why I travel with what has proven to be both substantial
and light weight. But I always travel with a lot of R equipment so a good
tripod is absolutely necessary. Mirror lock-up, long heavy lenses, long
exposures on Velvia...

Jim