Subject: Re: [Leica] New or used?
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 21:32:42 +0100

A 23:43 02/03/98 +0900, vous avez =E9crit :
>Hello, friends:
>
>I am considering buying an M6.  Could anyone tell me how often M6 breaks
>down and how much one should be ready to pay for the repair.  You can
>buy a new M6 (with two-year guarantee by Leica and an additional
>three-year guarantee by a local agency) for 200000 yen or 1600 USD here
>in Tokyo. You can also get a "like-new" used one (without guarantee) for
>1300 USD.  The question is whether the difference (300 USD) is
>reasonable as insurance for the expected payment for five years  (=3D
>expense x probability).  I have heard that M6's light metering often
>breaks and that one usually has to pay 300 USD or more for it.  I have
>used three R's (RE, R4s, and R3) without troubles for four years. Am I
>fortunate?
>
>Thanks for all responses.
>
>--=20
>Mikiro

Bonjour,

It's scientifically impossible to answer your question : how often M6 bre=
aks ?
The answers will be biased : the % of angry people about their broken
fetish will be superior to the % of happy people who have no sad story to
tell.
My opinion is :
1=B0)a "factory fresh" body is the first best solution if the price is no=
t a
problem for you.
2=B0) a "like new" model with a discount of 35-40% is a second best solut=
ion.
But beware of the consequences of a shock, invisible with a naked eye : t=
he
rangefinder is the most delicate part of a M.
3=B0) a body quoted in only "very good condition" (or worse :good, fair)i=
s to
be avoided unless an official warranty exists.
Dominique