Subject: Re: [Leica] 280 Telyt
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 13:24:19 +0000

Alastair wrote:

>I too will be looking for an adaptor to use this lens on the
>R series camera. Does anyone know the serial numbers of this device?

Just got an R to M adapter for my Leicaflex SL for use with the 280 Telyt,
thanks to the advice gleaned from the LUG and the generosity of a LUG
member who had one lying around.

The number's 14127F. This is really for the original Leicaflex, as it has a
diaphragm ring which fools the 'flex's metering system. With the SL you
have to use stop-down metering, which is no great pain.

To quote Marc Small:

>Yes, it will fit your SL.  It will not fool the meter to allow stop-down
>metering -- the scale with the apertures on it won't work save on the
>original Leicaflex models.  But it will fit and will work.  There IS a
>version -- the 14167 -- which will work to fool the meter on the SL, but
>this is exceeding rare and, in any event, Leitz recycled the number when
>the R's came out to produce the current 14167 which hasn't an aperture
>mechanism of any sort.

The SL/Telyt combination balances very well on a monopod (using the Telyt's
tripod bush, of course). Stop-down metering seems to work well, tho' we'll
see when the first results come back.
Wide open focussing is very easy - subjectively the SL's screen seems a lot
brighter than its Visoflex equivalent.

Hope this helps.

Slan

Alex