Subject: [Leica] Films
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 08:59:02 -0500

<< What are your impressions of these two films?  I am going to choose one of
them to shoot pictures of people in their natural surroundings >>

I much prefer the Kodak TCN-400.  to Ilford XP-2.  I found highlights have
a tendency to break up  when using XP-2 and both the tonal gradation and
contrast of TCN-400 to be preferable.  However, when shooting snow scenes
- --even with a filter -- I did notice some problems with the ranges of tones
in TCN-400 negatives.  This is all based on  casual empiricism by a rank
amateur.

One other point.  If you can find a processor who will print TCN-400 on the
proper B&W paper, the plain vanilla machine prints can be remarkable.

Steve