Subject: Re: [Leica] Tips for hoods
From: abpeking <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 22:44:14 +0800 (CST)

I must confess to being a LUG lurker more than contributor but there
was one tip I felt I should contribute having found it very useful: for
all those 35 summilux and summicron users who use the round metal 12504
hood and are frustrated at the unavailability of a hood cap just do the
following - buy a cheap generic (no-name) 58mm lens cap - it fits well.
I also use one on my 21 elmarit (non-asph) on which I usually use
(horrors) a B+W UV filter and with the hood fitted the regular 60mm cap
does not fit. Whilst I am at it I must state that Leica make great
lenses but seem to have left the hood and cap designs to the blind
apprentice: a list of irritations in addition to the above for which I
found my own solutions -
1/ the rectangle hood of the 35mm summicron seems to assist the
unscrewing process of the central barrel - a very common ailment with
this lens for which the only fix, according to my usual Leica service
department, is an extra large dollop of loctite (or whatever the optics
version is called) Hence my adoption of the 12504 hood
2/ the soft plastic caps (42mm diameter) do not stay on the lens when a
filter is fitted
3/ the protruding ridge of all the snap-on caps seems to invite
dislodging
4/ the former spring-mounted bayonet hoods are very flimsy and
unrepairable (and over $100 each for 21mm, 28mm, 50/1 etc)

The other thing that bugs me is the continued adoption of exotic filter
sizes - such as the series filters, 39mm, 60mm. If Leica or anybody
produced the filters a colour shooting pro needed (e.g. colour
correction, FL-D etc) then fine but they don't and they are an
annoyance. There seems to be a half-hearted attempt at dealing with
this by moving towards 46mm and 55mm but new 60mm lenses have also
emerged recently. Yes I know B+W make the obscure sizes but they are
special order in most parts of the world and even B+H has a very
limited selection.

Having said all this I shall get my M6s ready for a shoot at a
Coca-Cola plant tomorrow and must make sure I have all the adapter
rings for 39, 43, 46 and 60mm lenses!

Any comments?

Photojournalist
Shanghai, China