Subject: [Leica] a 3 dimensional character
From: Mikiro Mori <mmori-tky@umin.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 21:06:48 +0900

At 22:19:45 -0800, Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Frank Filippone wrote:

>On a much more relevant shooters note, I have been getting several images
>form my 50 and 35 Summicrons that have a 3 dimensional character.... On
>reflection, I have noted that they were all taken at Large F-Stops,
>probably all at F2.  I think I am starting to understand Bokeh.......Never
>seen it with my Zeiss, Canon, or Nikon lenses.  I may have seen it with my
>old 3.5 Xenotar on a Rollei ......

I have a similar feeling.  I find a common character (probably
three-dimensional) between 50 mm Summicron R and 3.5 Xenar on a
Rolleicord.  I once owned a Rolleiflex with 2.8 Planar and its lens, of
course, had a character similar to those of Zeiss lenses for Contax SLR.
To my eyes Zeiss and Leitz have equal sharpness.  However, Zeiss is more
vivid, and Leitz is heavier or more solid (Sorry for my poor English
vocabulary).  What makes this difference? Is it explained by MTF
charts?  Also interesting is a fact that I feel the same difference in
using Zeiss and Wild (Leica) surgical microscopes.

Mikiro