Subject: [Leica] Leica M Restoration Question
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:12:27 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I have restored the outside appearance of a user chrome M3.  The vulcanite
has been patched (can't tell where I did it) and I replaced the entire
vulcanite on the rear hinged door.  I chipped off the older cracked
vulcanite and replaced it by gluing a new piece of flexible textured
rubberized plastic from Leica.

Now the hard part.  The outer edges of the hinged door is black paint.  It
looks almost like an enamel.  I have chipped off the loose paint and it
looks to be aluminum metal underneath.  Its kind of grey in color.

I checked with DAG and they only repaint and bake the metal a few times a
year.  I'd prefer to do the work myself.  Is there any black paint or
enamel that will stick to this metal so it will look like "new" again?

Thanks for the help.  I'm not a "do it your selfer" but this is a small job
and I geet a lot of satisfaction by working on old optical and camera
equipment.  I just wished I knew what I was doing.  Eye exams are easy
compared to this stuff.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD