Subject: Re: [Leica] Tips for Hoods
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 22:19:31 -0600

At 10:53 PM 3/6/98 +0800, you wrote:

>Now I hear what you say Eric about the M's unsuitability for colour
>corrected photography and yes it is nicest when shooting available
>light bw or even colour negative and not having such obstructions to
>deal with but just as Leica management say that the Ms are not really
>suited to flash photography (I heartily disagree on this too!) I think

First of all, it's not that they are unsuitable, but that that is not a
primary mission for them. In that case, the filter issue falls in the wake
of more important issues, like being as small as possible so they don't
obstruct the viewfinder any more than absolutely required. B+W makes custom
filters in any size you want.

The 60mm filter size is also used by Hassleblad, no? There was a time when
it was only used by the 180 Apo Telyt. But then there were four or five R
lenses and now three M lenses. That's pretty standard, if you ask me.
Series filters were required for lenses with detachable hoods of a certain
type. They are also thinner to avoid vignetting. As for your theory that
Leica wouldn't have tested it, is just plain too unbelievable. That's too
significant part of the performance parameters for a lens to not have
picked up on. They are standardizing sizes, and now you cry foul? No wonder
they're confused. :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

What is the probability that something will happen according to the odds?