Subject: Re: [Leica] ALL..test new Leica lenses?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 00:20:07 -0500

Alf wrote:

<<Usually you go into a shop and test a lens before you buy it. Don't you
have that possibility in the US ?>>>>>

Hi Alf,

Sure you can. But I just got all these lenses and usually I just throw them
an and start shooting. If they look good I keep it, if they don't I send
them back for another one.

I just thought it would be interesting to see how some other LUG members
might approach their first roll of film with a new lens.

I'm not big on testing any lens or camera although I do have one thing I do
with every lens and that is to shoot a few rolls with the lens wide open at
various distances to see the effect.  As that's an aperture I like to work
with as it lifts your subject away from the backgrnds or buries the
background in a mush of colour if it's distracting.

So far I've received a few ideas on what others would do, some are just too
much trouble and others are right on the mark the way I normally shoot with
a new lens. Use it, if it works, Great! Keep it! If it doesn't send it back
or sell it immediately.

At the moment from what i've seen from a couple of them, they're great and
will give you folks a run down later in the week. With 5 new ones it takes
a bit of time. :)

Oh yea and the R8 winder arrived with them also. Now there is a fine piece
of machinery and much appreciated by the old one eyed shooter here. Very
nice and quiet, comfortable in hand and makes the camera feel more stable.

I had got so used to thumb advancing I tripped the shutter, automatically
flicked the thumb lever out to advance. OOPS! Hey and it was done. I had
almost forgotten what it was like having a machine advancing the film.:)

But will be much happier when the motor arrives in the fall.

Look for a report on the lenses next week.

Oh yeah and Alf, <<<Don't you have that possibility in the US ?>>>>>

Yep and here in Canada also! :)  I live in the Great White North! Where
beer and Leicas are king! :)

ted