Subject: re: [Leica] Comparing Leica M and Contax G
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 15:31:19 -0600

   Even if all things were equal (I don t think they are), what about
longevity?  I use a 65 years old Leica III regularly, I had it tuned up last
year!  I can even use it s Elmar on my M6.  In what working order will the
G2 be in, let s say, 39 years?  Who will service it?  The questions keeps
popping up when I see a new electronic product.
<<<<<<<<<<

If Contax continues to introduce a new G camera at each Photokina -- as
they have at the last two and appear to be preparing to do this September
- -- in 39 years Contax owners will using the G21 and few will care if
today's G2 still works.

As far as finders go, when I owned a G1, I found the finder preferable to
the M's with a 28 mm lens (as an eyeglass wearer I could see the frame,
something I can't do with an M6; and no matter how small the finder, seeing
what's in the frame is a definite advantage) and with a 90 mm lens (I
believe the zooming G finder's image is larger than the M6's bright lines).
The M6's bright finder holds a strong advantage over the G with 35 mm and
50mm lenses. And with 75 mm and 135 mm lenses, which the Contax G line
doesn't offer.

Larry