Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers named in Diana even
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 16:58:46 -0600

At 10:22 AM 3/8/98 -0400, you wrote:

>As a full-time, well remunerated, freelance photojournalist who has worked
>in the past as a staffer for a major wire service and major newspapers and
>freelances out of choice I take extreme offense at this statement.

You misunderstood what I was saying. It is the rare photojournalist who can
do pure photojournalism full time as a freelancer. If you are one, you are
indeed fortunate. Most of us who are full time staffers at newspapers often
envy people like you. It's not that freelancers are bad, but we are not
willing to make the sacrifices you folks do to do it your way. At times I'm
still tempted to give it a try. But the lure of a steady paycheck makes
that a difficult leap.

But, the fact remains that many photographers who happen to be freelancers
make money at commercial and "celebrity work" because they cannot get the
financing to do the projects they want to. The commercial work pays a whole
lot more than that work they wish to do, but it makes possible what they
want to do in spite of the lack of support from publications.

If Life magazine still paid well for a long-term project, you can bet Mary
Ellen Mark wouldn't be doing commercial work. Bill Allard would have never
tried shooting for Marlboro - and in fact got fired in the process when he
mouthed off to the art director. Photojournalists tend to be a tough breed
who doesn't take kindly to direction from less competents. :-) And they
don't really enjoy the time it takes to shoot advertising and other stuff
that has nothing to do with why they picked up a camera in the first place.
If that offends you, talk to them, I have nothing to do with how they feel.
But that's often the way it is. They don't mind doing the work, but it's
not what drives them to be photographers.

There is NOTHING wrong with freelancing!  (Just in case my point is still
in doubt.)

As for shooting a wider array of assignments than newspaper photographers,
there ain't no way.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!