Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 22:59:56 -0500

Bob wrote:

<<<If I were lazy I wouldn't carry the weight of 2 Leica M6's and four
lenses, an R8 with three lenses and an complete Hasselblad system. >>>>>

Hi Bob,

Sorry my friend, unfortunately you miss-read the questions of my post as it
had nothing to do with you being lazy as a person nor your ability to carry
gear.

The question was, did you use A/F as a means to focus because you felt it
was accomodating in the use of the camera only, or as many of us who have
used autofocus gear for years and Leica R equipment for decades, found that
with Leica gear it isn't necessary, although in a few circumstances, sports
and as you say fast moving children it would be handy.

Your explanation regarding some loss of sharp eyed ability that is
compensated by auto-focus is a very real thing.  Now don't jump, as we old
timers all suffer from it! :)

And I agree with you that A/F is a form of insurance when we find our sight
not quite as sharp as it once was in our youth.

As far as the 21mm lens!  Unfortunately you jumped me again.:)

All I wanted to know was if you shot with the lens wide open! As my
understanding is, the benefits of an aspherical lens are really only
appreciated with the lens wide open (and it didn't have anything to do with
mustard.) :) It was an honest question, as I have just received three
aspherical M lenses and I'm trying to find out how others use their lenses
for the maximum aspheric improvement.

My questions were right to the point and I'd hoped for a quick resonse. I
got it.:) thanks.

So please see if there is something you can help me to look for with these
new asphericals. I appreciate the sharpness of the 21 as I've used one for
years the 3.4 and I'm hoping the 21 2.8 it will be a major improvement, as
much of my work is with the lens wide open or stopped down maybe one stop.

thanks in advance for any suggestions,

ted