Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers named in Diana event
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 23:09:32 -0500

At 08:20 PM 08-03-98 +0000, you wrote:
[snip]

>Hiding in bushes is something that no
>photographer I've known, and I've known hundreds, has ever done. Yet, for
some
>reason, you're married to this perception of an entire, hellacious world of
>bloodsuckers.

Look, there is this famous paparazzi (and this is the class of people I am
talking about, no one else) who did just this with Princess Diana.  I can't
remember his name, but he was in the news at the time of her death.  And I
am sure he is but one example of many.  I am not talking about photo
journalists who are assigned a movie premiere.  I am talking about, for
example,  the people who surrounded Diana in the street one time when she
was walking to her car.  She became totally disoriented to the point where
she got lost, and then broke down sobbing.  I saw this on tape.  These
people were not practicing photo journalism.  I am sure you will agree with
me.  And if that famous (possible Pulitzer prize winner) was hanging around
the Ritz, waiting to get a photo of her, he too was not practicing
photojournalism.  Of course, it could be that he didn't arrive until after
the accident, as someone I think reported in a post to the list.  That
would change everything.

To repeat, I am not slamming photojournalists.  I am slamming the
Paparazzi.  Remember, the thread was about who caused Princess Diana's
death.  And I made a distinction between pjs and the photographers who were
chasing her.

Dan C.