Subject: [Leica] Re: Contax 45 G lens
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:04:11 -0800

Ferdinand and fellow LUGgers:

You will not believe this, but I tell you the truth.

I did an entire photoshoot yesterday in full sunlight with the R8 and G2
side by side.  I shot 2 rolls with the G2 and 1 with the R8.  On crucial
shots, I shot once with the G2, asked the model to stay in position, then
shot the exact same exposure with the R8.  Of course, both photos
were perfectly and equally exposed.  But the interesting thing is that the
Zeiss images look exactly the same, if not better, than my Leica images.

I shot with the 28, 45, and 90.  All three lenses are tack sharp.  I had no
problems focusing at all.  Many have said that the focus point is off center,
but I shot with the assumption that it was dead center, and every shot was
perfectly focused.  Exposure was perfect.  I shot EPR 64 rated at 50, and
added +0.5 on backlit shots.

I was not surprised by things in the final image that I did not include in my
framing.  Apparently the 90-92% viewfinder is sufficient.

To be fair, I only compared the 50/2.0 R lens to the 45/2.0 G lens.  These I
compared side by side on the light box, under a 4x and 8x loupe.
Practically identical.....same color saturation, same sharpness, same
fine details.....I think if I mixed them up in the same box I could not
tell them
apart.

I am definitely impressed.  The G2 was very easy to use, and it was a welcome
relief not to have to wind every shot and rewind every roll manually.  Auto
bracketing  built in is also wonderfully convenient.  The zooming viewfinder
was excellent and bright, and the parallax compensation worked flawlessly.
I did not use the MF on the G2, and think it to be a waste of time.  That
is the
only feature I think I will never use.  The AF is very smooth, fast, and
quiet on the
G2.  The model (about 2-3 meters away) and my assistant (about 1-2 meters
away) were constantly asking me if I had taken the shot yet.  They could
not hear
the AF or shutter, and did not know whether I had shot or not!  Not so with
the R8,
but I know the M6 would have received the same response.

The strap that comes with the G2 is a pain in the butt to put on.....and it
was
mighty uncomfortable.  In fact, I removed the strap from my R8 and put it on
the G2 and it feels wonderful.

The only thing left for me to find out is whether the Metz 50-MZ5 will work
on the
G2.  The flash that is available for the G2 through Contax is not a worthwhile
expense to me.

The data back for the G2 may be helpful, but I understand that the aperture it
writes between frames is not the actual aperture, but an estimate!  That is
bad.

I think I will be using the G2 for my rangefinder range (21mm to 90mm) and
the R4 or R8 for the SLR range (100mm to 800mm).  The size of the G2 and
3 lenses allows me to carry the entire outfit in a fanny pack and not even
notice
the weight!  I really like this G2!

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions