Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 22:31:59 -0600

At 11:39 AM 3/9/98 +0100, you wrote:

>But, and I am going to ask an impossible question (but I'll do it
>anyway): do you think Leica has plans for an overhaul of the R
>wideangles, and wouldn't I be better advised to wait for some more years
>(we're speaking Leica terms here...)?

The 19 Elmarit was just recently overhauled. I'm talking about the new one.
It certainly won't (and really doesn't need) an overhaul any time soon.

And even though the 15mm lens is vintage 1973 or whatever (Introduced by
Leica in '80) it certainly doesn't need updating. I would wait to get a 24,
they really need to update that one. It's a great lens, don't get me wrong.
I liked mine, but it's quite old. I doubt there's much reason to update the
16mm fisheye, it's not terribly popular I'm sure.

The 35mm lenses are great. The 35 Summicron R is particularly good in
controlling flare, and freedom from vignetting. You can find the Summicron
quite cheap. Could be a good lens to get until they do update that lens, or
the 35 Summilux R (that's not likely for a while, it's vintage '84). Then
match it with a 19. Awesome lens!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes