Subject: [Leica] R8: angel crashed and burned
From: "Guido Ridoli" <guirid@numerica.it>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:30:04 +0100

 This is my history:
 I''m a Leica M superfan but I own also a Leicaflex SL with
 28/2.8 50/2 90/2,8 and I'm happy with them.
 I've recently bought a new R8 with a 80/200 f4 ROM because
I +ACI-needed+ACI-
 a Zoom
 lens for traveling and I decided to make the great step
 to the R8. (with the deep peace of my bank account)
My +ACI-old+ACI- Metz 45cl-4 didn't work with SCA
 3501in TTL flash and I had to buy also a Metz 40-MZ3 too.
 Well, at the first shots the R8 in shutter priority mode
 didn't work, and the TTL flash as well.
 Ok, I went back to the dealer and he replaced me the body
 and the lens at once
 After a few days the new R8 (with a serial number 20,000
units earlier
 than the first one)
 with lens arrived  and I was very excited
 to start again to use it. I opened the box, put the lens on
 and..... My God it didn't work again, the shutter priority
and
 the TTL flash didn't work +ACEAIQ-
 Moreover, the display in the finder  was not
 in the marvellous soft green colour, but it was of a bad
 yellow-green (acid green to be precise) and the diods were
so badly
 illuminated that, when one of them was on, the sorrounding
ones were
 slightly displayed, creating a very distracting efffect.
 The R8, my new angel, crashed and burned.
 Ok now, both the dealer and the Italian importer said me
that they
 would have replaced
body and lens again, but now I don't trust the
 R8 system anymore and I'm very very disappointed.
  I'm a LEICA supporter but I don't want the electronic
 problems let my angel fall down and crash.This damn, 5,000
USD camera
 (including lens and flash) collected a double fail and I've
received a
 double uppercut.
What have I to do ?
 What would you, guys, think in my clothes?

       Guido Ridoli
   LEICA M superfan
   guirid+AEA-numerica.it