Subject: Re: [Leica] What happened ? (was: M6 J ... / crashed angel ...)
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:33:12 +0100

"A brandnew broken Leica is still a broken Leica. Period, as Eric says"

No discussion on this point. But this fact, unfortunate as it is, does not
prove in any way what we are (the minority) try to convey. ANY product,
handbuilt, crafted in small series or machine produced and Quality
Controlled to an extremely small tolerance figure can and will occasionaly
fail (Murphy's law will see to that). This failure does prove nothing. As
has been stated before: only statistical analysis can give a basis for
meaningfull conclusions.  But we were not talking about individual
production failures and slippages of QC.
The assertion was: older Leicas (M3 and M4) are generally the best built of
all leica M series. Well, that is a different assertion from the one in the
beginning: any product can fail, but for a product to be generally more
failure prone, we need statistical series and we do not have them. Do we
know how many M3 or M4 cameras left the factory in the 50s and 60s with
their owners returning them to the dealer with complaints?
Could it be that expectations of many Leica buyers about the mythical Leica
quality are too high? After all we are talking about a semi-mass produced
industrial product, assembled and checked by humans according to very tight
tolerances, but still prone to errors. Ten thousand M's are produced and
some more R's. If the failure rate is 25 cameras we are talking about a
fraction of a percent. If we set our norm that high that every Leica that
leaves the factory should be without any defect, we are fooling ourselves.
Not even NASA can accomplish this.
We should not close our eyes for defects and if the number and magnitude of
the defects and failures are becoming so numerous that a certain
nervousness should befall us, we can take action.
To be realistic: any Leica distributor (and in the same vein any
distributor of whatever industrial product) has a factory provided budget
for handling guarantee claims. Would this be necessary if we could produce
to flawless perfection?
Leica's reputation of durability, stamina and longevity has been earned in
the long years of being the photographer's workhorse (as was the Jeep in
days long gone). It is inherent and inbuilt quality, not production
glitches that determine reputations.
Erwin