Subject: [Leica] Black Paint Leicas / Gary - Marvin
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:16:07 EST

 Gary - Leitz uses these exact words in regards to black painted Leicas:
 "Die Kameras wurden schwarz lackiert geliefert"
  The cameras were delivered painted with black lacquer <
  They use the word lackiert but of course it is enamel.

   Collectors of automobiles are a different breed from those of Leicas
   or coins.  A restored '57 is of course worth more than one unrestored
   unless you could find one in unused condition (which is possible with
   a '57 Leica but hardly with an auto).

   There are some (few) collectors that have their rare Leicas restored by
   such as Malcom Taylor or George Carr (deceased) but they are for a
   museum or collection of a very rich person who isn't interested in the
   resale value as he probably will never in his lifetime sell it.

   For a while Tom Abrahamsson used a special tough black painting
   process for professionals that liked black M2 & M3s but it was done
   only as a service and not to pass off like the rare originals.

   Greg Metzgar in Ohio used to charge $600 for a black paint job and
   currentently Takahashi in Japan is loaded with orders for black paint
   restorations at $1000 ea. The key word is restoration - as to paint a
   a chrome camera black (after stripping off all the chrome) would be
   producing a counterfeit but if your M4 was originally black painted -
   then it would be considered a restoration and even the Leitz factory
   used to do them.

   Marvin Moss ---your fellow LHSA member
<<
 I know that you do not clean old coins or they lose value. But a
 paint-peeling '57 Chevy has never been worth more than one with a good new
 paint job. What about a black-paint M camera? Also can anyone explain the
 difference between "black paint" and "black enamel" - two terms that often
 show up in used camera listings.

 Regards,
 Gary Todoroff