Subject: Re: [Leica] "They don't make 'em like they used to..."
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:00:13 -0800

Eric, my dear sir,

You will please note that not all German violins should be compared to
Brunnhilde as she waits upon the flaming mountain for her Siegfried.

Indeed, many can be compared to the fragile grace and beauty of Mimi as she
sits in her garret waiting for Rodolfo.

I fear the only way this thread will be resolved is to sit down over large
quantities of German beer, laced with Italian music and French food.

Before I end this thread ( as is has nothing to do with this list ), the
thought does enter my mind from time to time, as to how much joy and beauty
will be derived in 350 years from the tools we buy today ( Leica, BMW,
Rover, Nikon, etc., etc. ). I think of a German ( or Italian ) violin that
was made in the 15th century, that is still loved and played daily and of
the joy that it can give other people. It makes our 30 or 40 year old Leica
look like a babe in arms.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA