Subject: Re: [Leica] Anonymous Allegations
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 00:16:17 -0000

Marc wrote:

>I would suggest that anonymous allegations -- "dealers say such and such,
>but I cannot repeat their names! -- be avoided.  Such statements are
>inflammatory and, as they are not subject to verification, are worthless.

Marc,

I had no idea that Leica was on trial! When you are asking for =
"verification" you certainly sound like a defence lawyer.

The LUG-list should not be mistaken for a court room. It should be a =
forum for free discussions about Leica cameras, lenses and other =
related issues. Am I right?

More important, as a journalist, I take personal offence if someone =
asks for my source. Actually, asking for the name of a news source or =
any other attempt to disclose the name of a news source is a serious  =
violation of my country=B4s constitution. And I don=B4t think the =
American constitution is very different in this respect. So when a =
Leica repairman confides in me and complains about  recent quality =
deterioration I=B4m obliged by the ethics of journalism to protect =
his identity.

BTW, do you turn down all stories in for instance NYT or Washington =
Post if they don=B4t print the names of their sources? Would those =
stories in your opinion therefore be "worthless"? Deep Throat =
certainly had quite an impact on the future of Nixon, didn=B4t he?

What I really want to say is that even if it hurts you should take =
the recent critical observations and statements about new Leica =
cameras more seriously. And maybe with less open hostility. I don=B4t =
think we have any liars in this group. And when some of us are forced =
to notify the group about our personal negative experiences and =
observations regarding our newly purchased Leicas, we don=B4t do it =
with malicious intent! We probably love and respect our Leica cameras =
as much as the rest of you.

I think, and hope, that the Leica company appreciates any honest and =
constructive input about their products. And I doubt they need =
selfappointed apologists to act on their behalf.

Claes