Subject: [Leica] Solms/Representative & Anonymous Allegations on the LUG
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:36:20 EST

 Some of us must have forgotten or missed the post by the our new LUG
 member Alan Karadagi, who is in Solms & although it isnt his job to do so,
 monitors (at random) LUG posts.  I don't think that anything of relevance
 is being missed by Solms & I too would advise caution by those that make
 a livelyhood by the good graces of Leica to refrain from antagonizing them.

 Marvin Moss
 In a message dated 98-03-11 18:17:36 EST, Claes wrote:
<<
 Marc wrote:

 >I would suggest that anonymous allegations -- "dealers say such and such,
 >but I cannot repeat their names! -- be avoided.  Such statements are
 >inflammatory and, as they are not subject to verification, are worthless.

 Marc,
 I had no idea that Leica was on trial! When you are asking for "verification"
you certainly sound like a defence lawyer.

 The LUG-list should not be mistaken for a court room. It should be a forum
for free discussions about Leica cameras, lenses and other related issues. Am
I right?

 More important, as a journalist, I take personal offence if someone asks for
my source. Actually, asking for the name of a news source or any other attempt
to disclose the name of a news source is a serious  violation of my countryīs
constitution. And I donīt think the American constitution is very different in
this respect. So when a Leica repairman confides in me and complains about
recent quality deterioration Iīm obliged by the ethics of journalism to
protect his identity.

 BTW, do you turn down all stories in for instance NYT or Washington Post if
they donīt print the names of their sources? Would those stories in your
opinion therefore be "worthless"? Deep Throat certainly had quite an impact on
the future of Nixon, didnīt he?

 What I really want to say is that even if it hurts you should take the recent
critical observations and statements about new Leica cameras more seriously.
And maybe with less open hostility. I donīt think we have any liars in this
group. And when some of us are forced to notify the group about our personal
negative experiences and observations regarding our newly purchased Leicas, we
donīt do it with malicious intent! We probably love and respect our Leica
cameras as much as the rest of you.

 I think, and hope, that the Leica company appreciates any honest and
constructive input about their products. And I doubt they need selfappointed
apologists to act on their behalf.

 Claes