Subject: Re: [Leica] What Happened?
From: "Jim Bielecki" <jbieleck@northland.lib.mi.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:33:32 -0500

>The numerous quality control problems---of new or near new Leicas  that
>are discussed on the LUG these days---did not (at least in my memory)
>occur during M3/M2/M4 production.   How do you account for this in the
>"newer is better" made argument?    When Murphy's law goes into high
>gear at Leica, what are consumers to think?

40 years ago there wasn't an Internet which allowed Leica users from around
the world to communicate daily about what they like and don't like about
their favorite cameras.  If there were problems with the M-3 and M-4 back in
the 50's and 60's, how would this information be conveyed?  How would we
know that Mr. X in Belgium had a problem with his then-new M-3?  Or that
Leica Iceland, Inc. wouldn't honor the warranty for M-4's purchased in
Antartica?  I think we're too eager to dismiss the benefits(?) of this
electronic medium we've all grown so fond of.

Jim Bielecki