Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: Airport X-ray Machines
From: flynn@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (Timothy Corcoran Flynn, MD)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:41:01 -0600

Thanks to Dave for his comments on airport x-ray machines.  I recently shot
a number of rolls of color neg film in New Zealand.  I was quite surprised
that almost all the photos were "overexposed".  I attributed the
overexposure to the abundant Ultraviolet B radiation on the south island,
due to the ozone layer depletion.

That is, until I remembered that I packed the exposed film in my CHECKED
baggage.  I'm now sure that the baggage x-ray machines gave my photos that
extra dose of exposure.

I am now going to use those lead bags for all my exposed film whenever I
travel overseas.  Is this what the other LUGgers are doing?

Somewhat embarassed by mu conclusions, I remain sincerely,

Timothy