Subject: [Leica] Re:RE
From: "R E Sharp" <hi-res@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:17:53 -0500

I enjoyed using an R-E for about a year. Absolutely fine. But I heard so
many times, "Oh, you've got the stripped-down version." Always that term,
"stripped-down" -- as if Leica left off the take-up spool and shutter
curtain to cut down on costs. Finally I couldn't take it any longer, so
traded it for an R3 in 24-karat gold plate.

Well, ok, that last part's not true. But I also wonder what was that urge
for others to knock the RE? I suppose Leica is not allowed to be perceived
as having an "economy model", which was how they introduced and advertised
it. Therefore, an attractive buy nowadays. (And if you put tape over it,
you can lie to the unthinking detractors about what's underneath!) ;-)
Robert