Subject: Re: [Leica] warning about plastic on base plate
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:31:52 -0500

>Leica USA has informed me that the plastic should be removed from base as
>it can cause static buildup which could in turn leave static discharge
>marks on your film.  Particularly if the camera is used in cold or dry
>climates.

Gee, that sounds like a pretty serious problem.  I'd better go get my
camera out of the bag and rip that plastic "leather" off the body... that
could cause static buildup.  I'd better get rid of the frame counter,
too.  Didn't somebody say that's plastic?

This theory sounds a little suspicious to me.  Was this coming from
marketing or somebody else?   Even if the plastic obtained a static
charge, it isn't coming in contact with the film.  And since the body of
the camera is metal, it is not going to become charged itself from that
little strip.