Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: My M6 question re flash firing
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 06:05:08 -0600

At 10:49 PM 11/03/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Marshall Mundheim's query about Ms firing a flash if the shutter release
>is pressed (but shutter not wound) sent me to my IIIf LTM. It does it
>too, guys and dolls. So this is an artifact ever since the synched LTMs,
>not just the Ms.

This is not uncommon.  I don't know why it comes as such a surprise.  At
the base of the shutter release is one contact for the flash circuitry.
This one, as well as one on the hot shoe (or the remote cable socket) must
both be closed for the flash circuit to be activated.  Pressing down on the
shutter release closes that portion of the circuit, whether of not the
shutter has been cocked.  The shutter release button, when depressed, acts
as a mechanical switch for the flash.  It is much like turning on a light
switch even if a light bulb is not in the light socket.  The switch is
still working, but the light bulb (flash) has to be available for the
circuit to be completed.  When you are not using a flash,  you do not
notice that the flash circuitry has been activated, because the flash is
not firing, and will not fire unless a flash is available and ready.

- -GH