Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: Airport X-ray Machines
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:23:56 -0500

Donal wrote:

<<<<I would love to have a copy of the report to cary with me.  If there is
a problem it would be nice to have a copy to give to security manager to
help with negotiations.  Perhaps we can track it down and share with
group.  >>>>>>

Donal,

This is what I have on file from lasy week!
=======

Kodak has  learned:

There is new piece of  X-ray inspection equipment,   the CTX-5000,
currently
being installed in major airports  worldwide.

This system is designed  to inspect  CHECKED baggage  only, not carry on.

Operationally, this unit performs two types of  scans.  The first is a
general sweep, which is harmless to film.   The second is a focused,
high-energy scan targeted at any suspicious looking  items identified by
the
system in the initial sweep.  If this second  scan happens to strike
unprocessed film, it will be ruined.

Delaying  installation of the CTX-5000 units is not an option.

Given the nature of  the business, the severity of this problem would
appear
to be great for  professional photographers.   Your options  are
limited:

     Don't carry unprocessed film in  checked baggage

     If you must carry large amounts  of unprocessed film, contact the
     airline prior to  your filight to make inspection arrangements which
      would not involve using the CTX-5000

========================

For what it's worth I believe another LUGNUT also posted this message.

It has nothing to do with the hand carry on bags it's about checked bags. I
made phone call to ask KODAK rep about it and the word was "Really don't
check film as this thing will fry your film if it has to use the second
scanning rate to really see what's in that lead bag!"

Best bet if you have to carry several hundred rolls is to contact the air
carrier and make arrangements for security check of film. If not that
volume of film, your method is the same as mine and that is freezer zip
lock clear bags and carry it with you.

ted

ted