Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: Airport X-ray Machines, Physics 101
From: ATanabe <ATanabe@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:00:25 EST

The effects will be lower in plastic cassettes, however, remember that the
amount of energy used by the inspection machines are proportional to the
thickness (mass) of the total bag.   Minimize the thickness of the package and
you should be fine.  Xray machines in the US are high efficiency units.  Older
machines in third world countries may use higher energy to visualize the
contents.  Just think smart, don't argue with security people and you should
be okay.
Yes, carrying the cassettes on your person, if not too concentrated will not
set off the magnetometer (gate).  I rountinely go through the gate with my
pager, watch (stainless steel), pens, change but keep my arms close to my
body.
Al