Subject: [Leica] Solms contact needed
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 02:35:28 EST

Dear LUGnuts:

Some of you may recall my efforts in trying to create a solution to the 'grit'
problem of the R8 focusing screens. To recap, perhaps its just a 'problem' for
me, but my perception of the current focusing screens is that they are both
dull and 'grity' as compared to a modern "laser matte" type of screen as
incorporated in other manufactures camera systems.

For me, I find the 'grit' an annoyence and the lack of brightness to be
undesirable. When I brought up these issues perviously, some of you disagreed
with me siting various raves from writers reviewing the R8 as being amongst
the best of the best in viewfinders.

I do think that the R8 viewfinder has the potential to be the best of the
best, but was 'shot down' in its performance by the limitation of the current
screens.

My explorations into a set of solutions for a different screen started with
Maxwell Precision Optics. Bill Maxwell was able to 'treat' a few Leica
replacment screens in order to create the type of brightness increase as
Bettie et al. I must say that I was impressed by the increase in brightness of
the screen. However, the grit problem was still quite obvious.

I contacted Leica USA and Nils Thoreson to request assistance in reviewing
previous camera models that might have screens that could be adapted forward
to the R8. The SL screen was known to have a very unique performance. It was
also beleived that the R4 screens - from the Minolta era - the originator of
the "laser matte" concept, where superior to later model screens. However,
Nils was unable to find any forward compatability of these previous products.
The screens are not only mechically sized different, but also have optical
focal lenght and correction factors (SL), that are different then the R8.

A little lost, I was hartened by the recent article in Popular Photography
outlining the history of viewfinder image quality and their assertion that
viewfinder image quality of most camera systems has degraded over the years.
They provided some interesting supporting data with the article. I felt after
reading it that perhaps my perceptions about the 'grit' and brightness of the
R8 screen were not misplaced.

Seeking further solutions, I sat in a camera store with boxes of camera
screens from different manufactorers camera systems - and different eras of
screens. I was seeking a 'donor' screen that was laser-matte, had focusing
aids (I prefer microprism) and had basic mechanical size compatability with
the R8.

Unfortunitly, no such luck. The closest I came was in theory only - Canon
designed a laser matte screen with microfocusing aids. It was designated "E-
A", but is out of production. Since I could not get my hands on one, I do not
know if it would have fit, the focal lenght or any of the other issues of
compatability.

But, it was interesting that it is possible to make such a screen. Most laser
matte screens appear now in autofocus cameras and it was unclear if you could
combine both the laser matte surface and focusing aids - but clearly, you can.

I also learned in this process that earlier focusing screens were a heck of a
lot nicer then the plastic hunks that we now have. I saw an early Canon screen
that had beautiful GLASS optics cemented to a fine grain screen! It weighed a
bit, but was clearly glorious.

Now, its obvious that the screens are injection molded and are plastic lenses
at best. Would any of you settle for plastic elements in your favorite Leica
lens?? I have found that even Canon's attempt in making replicated aspheric
lenses using plastic on glass has caused considerable losses in the optics.

Well, here I am. Lots of effort later and only a half of a solution! But, I
now know that it is possible to make a much smoother and brighter screen and
indeed has been done on previous cameras from other manufactores and even
within Leica.

I would like to start lobbying Leica to create a new series of replacment
screens for the R8. The development of such screens is neither costly, nor
time consuming - its not free, but the technology is readily available on
contract to other manufactorues.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a name at Solms that would be
sympathetic to my lobbying?????????????????

I obviously could start at the top and work down, but it would be most helpful
to find a direct connection in to the R8 team and with some one that might be
able to get the ball rolling. Without much effort, I think Leica could tune up
the R8 screens to provide a truly world class view finder.

If you have any names to suggest along with contact information, please
forward them to me. I would appreciate your help and support.

sincerely,

Pete Myers