Subject: [Leica] M6 comments
From: milos@bohem-net.cz (Milos Kocman)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:54:01 +0100

Hi,

I am through some 20 rolls of chrome with a new M6 and "old" 35/2. Here are
my comments:

First, I got the hang of the camera pretty fast and often hear myself
muttering about all the money I previously threw at different reflex
cameras.. Love it.

As far as the results go, the camera excells in available (low) light
situations. I love being able seeing through the viewfinder during the
exposure, too. Focusing is precise and probably gets almost subliminal with
experience. Meter dead-on. Camera is low profile - plastic is so much more
sexy these days. I don't even bother about taping the logos. So for me,
it's the ultimate street and travel camera. Silent, too.

The lens is very nice, but vignetting at f2 is sometimes more than
noticeable, also corner performance visibly low. I wonder how much better
the ASPH is. However, in people shots the good center performance really is
enough. Comments?

Now, quality - It's way below my expectations. The camera back door doesn't
sit on tight and isn't leveled with the body. I have heard of other people
with same problems. Think of all the Leica brochure bla bla about precision
up to the limits of the impossible and here's a 0.5mm tolerance.

A big surprise was when I got a few black frames on some rolls, both during
fast and slow shooting. I will have to send the camera in. Anyone had these
problems?

As far as the lens goes, it has a tiny metal particle between the elements
somewhere.

I will let you know what service I'll receive from Solms and in the
meantime invite your comments.

Milos, in any case a convert now.