Subject: Re: [Leica] Vivitar 283/5
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:59:32 -0500

Harrison McClary wrote:

> The device is called the Varipower Vivitar VP-1.  I've had one on my 283
> for 11 years and love it.  It allows an almost continuous adjustment of
> the flash output.

Harrison, do you meter the flash output when using a Vivitar 283 with
VP-1 in manual mode? Or do you have (ugh!) guide numbers calculated for
various outputs at a given distance? Having to meter and then adjust the
output for a desired fill ratio would seem to take away some of the
spontaneity of using a Leica. I know when using a Canon EOS with 540EZ
flash I can just program in -1/3, -2/3 or whatever fill flash and be
done with it.

On the other hand, if the situation is static enough when using the
Vivitar, you can do what I've also done and mount the flash on stand or
clamp with radio receiver. Then you can position it accordingly where it
will fit your lighting concept (bounced or otherwise), take your
readings and with transmitter (very lightweight) on Leica you can
preserve some of the spontaneity and flexibility we've come to know and
love without on-camera flash or bothersome wires trailing about. And,
presumably, you would only use enough fill-flash to enhance the
available light qualities of the scene rather than dominate it.

Carl S.