Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA Passport (was M6 vs Contax quality control)
From: "Art Searle" <w2nra@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:09:08 -0500

Bill Larsen
> I would have a hard time at the moment buying anything warranted by
> Leica USA.

Ok, I know this is only one story and a rather vane attitude on my part to
a perseved cosmetic flaw but here goes:  I purchased a Leica M6 in black a
few months ago.  I never like the finish.  It looked sooty in spots.  It
would clean up ok with a microfibe cloth but would look sooty very quickly
after use.  I sent a complaint email to Leica USA and they promptly emailed
me back saying they wanted to see the camera.  I waited a couple of months
and decided to drive over there.  (The drive along the New Jersey shore
Palisades looks like an interesting seasonal photo op with it's may
overlooks.)  Leica USA looked at the camera, said the finish is normal,
brought out another M6 to show me but said they would exchange it, no
charge, for an M6 Chrome.  I agreed and a week later my new M6 arrived.  I
am more satisfied with Leica USA than I have a right to me.  My complaint
was frivolous but I am a fanatic.  Before any of you die hard Leica users
who use users let me just say the I have cameras that are up to 20 years
old that do not have a single cosmetic blimish and I've carried them around
almost daily. . . . . I even use them once in a while ;)

Art

Art Searle, W2NRA, w2nra@erols.com, Lake Grove, Long Island, NY, USA
20 miles east of Nikon USA, 70 miles east of Leica USA