Subject: Re: [Leica] ground glass
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@iserv.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:04:51 -0500

I went to my local photo haunt yesterday. They just got in an R zoom
80-200/4 or 70-200/4. They have an R8 sitting there and has been there
waiting on a buyer for a few months but as they are new Leica dealers they
just got this first lens for it after that many months. I walked in and
they got out the R-8 and the lens and I looked through it. Because I have
never looked through an R-8 before, the guy said, "It is really bright." I
said, "Funny you should say that because the forum I subscribe to call Lug,
you know, the leica internet list , says that it, the viewfinder, is gritty
and not that bright."

The guy pulled out an F5 and and a 70-210 Nikkor and we compared. Findings.
Leica is brighter and more contrasty but more gritty. He said, "the grit is
probably because it is so bright and contrasty that you notice it more." I
thought that was profound, but didn't commit.

Food for thought.

Steve

At 05:14 PM 3/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 02:35 AM 3/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Dear LUGnuts:
>>
>>For me, I find the 'grit' an annoyence and the lack of brightness to be
>>undesirable. When I brought up these issues perviously, some of you
disagreed
>>with me siting various raves from writers reviewing the R8 as being amongst
>>the best of the best in viewfinders.
>>
>>... (a lot missing!)
>>
>>Pete Myers
>>

>Pete,
>
>You are going through what I went through with my 4x5 Linhof. A pure ground
>glass is gritty and needs a fresnel lens to make it bright enough to use.
>Focusing wide angle lenses was always a problem when using swings & tilts
>because you have to focus, not only in the center of the screen, but at the
>outside edges. Almost impossible with a fresnel lens (or bright screen). I
>found a product, made in Holland, called the BOSSSCREEN. It's two very thin
>pieces of glass with a very very thin layer of wax in between. It is
>absolutely creamy smooth. No grit. And a pure joy to focus upon. Bright
>from corner to corner. A savior! It's imported by Bromwell Marketing (412)
>321-4118. You most likely would have to go to the manufacturer, which I
>believe is:
>
>Van Doornen Innovision, Stabilix B.V., Den Haag
>
>What I wrote above, I copied off of the box, so you may need a little help
>from our LUG European friends to actually track down these people. Or call
>Mr. Bromwell, he is a very nice guy.
>
>Jim

                                            \:|:/
                                            (o o)