Subject: Re: [Leica] Why are Leicas so much less expensive in Asia??
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:59:23 +0900

On Sat, 14 Mar 98 02:18:52 -0000, Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
wrote:

>I think the main reason for these low prices is that Asian importers and=
=20
>dealers simply are very efficient. They use as few middlemen as =
possible.=20
>And they don=B4t mind undercutting the prices of their competitors. Just=
 call=20
>them good and honest businessmen!=20
In Japan, at least, the story is usually not this simple.  There are
many factors that have led to a sharp reduction in the retail prices
of consumer products here, both domestic and imported, during the past
8 years.  It is far more complicated than your picture of efficient
and honest businessmen, but I don't think the LUG is the place to
delve too deeply into this.  Whatever the reason, though, I hope
you're not trying to imply that, because US prices are higher, US
dealers must be less efficient and less honest.

I find for myself that as the yen weakens against the US dollar,
everything Leica looks like a better buy.  Until I realize that since
I'm being paid in yen, the savings are a bit illusory.  This usually
doesn't occur to me until AFTER I've bought something!   =20

Best Regards,

PB     =20

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan