Subject: Re: [Leica] black and white beginner questions
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:09:59 -0500

At 05:39 PM 3/16/98 -0800, you wrote:

>What films would you recommend for a beginner to get the feeling of
>BW photography?  I won't be developing my own, just taking it to a
>good BW lab in town.  What are the most popular BW films, and what
>are their characteristics?  How is the BW slide film, Agfa Scala?
>
>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated......thanks!
>

>Francesco Sanfilippo,
>Five Senses Productions
>webmaster@5senses.com

Francesco:

You should probably ask your lab which film they prefer.  The developing is
very important and will make or break your photos.  I use TMax exclusively
for black and white but had to experiment a lot before determined the
times, temperatures and agitation that work best for me.  I haven't tried
Agfa Scala.  It has to be sent off and developed by Agfa and is expensive.
I've heard that the slides are beautiful, though.  I make black and white
slides by duping my negatives.  Good look - I'll look forward to seeing
your photographs!  Best,  Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>